Priorities in Practice
The Essentials of Science, Grades K-6 : Effective Curriculum, Instruction, and AssessmenteBook - 2006
How can elementary school teachers--the proverbial jacks-of-all-trades--feel more confident in their knowledge of science and teach science more effectively? The Essentials of Science, K-6 aims to unleash every elementary educator's inner science teacher. Through a plethora of classroom examples, interviews with award-winning elementary science teachers and science education experts, and a wide-ranging look at recent research examining the state of science education, readers will learn
* How to align curriculum to state standards using such practices as backward design.
* How to use inquiry-based science to infuse meaning into class investigations and teach students problem-solving skills.
* Strategies for engaging students and keeping the curriculum fresh.
* Ways to increase English language learners' participation in and understanding of science.
* How to use formative assessment techniques to determine what students know both before and during lessons.
* How professional development can orient teachers to new content and to a deeper way of seeing the natural world.
With the right practices, science teachers can make their students' journey into learning about the natural world both productive and enjoyable. The Essentials of Science, K-6 provides practical information to help teachers reflect on their own approaches to teaching science and make the transition from apprehension to self-assurance.